Hey Micro and Homebrewers! Got a new brew your want reviewed? Send us an email! We love sampling all beers!

Monday, November 4, 2013

Coors Original (Banquet) - 5% - Now in Canada

I was pretty excited when I found out that Molson-Coors, or Coors Brewing, or whoever they are now, decided to finally bring Coors Original back to Canada. For those of you who don't know this American standby - Coors Original is a refreshing and smooth brew from south of the border. In fact, it is certainly my favorite American beer! Some Canadians, frowning on American beer, claim it can only be consumed ice cold. I disagree and have spent 10 months floating around the Bahamas drinking from 24 smuggled cases that lived in the bilge of my boat. Still tasty at ocean temperature....but I digress.

The Coors Original that is being brewed in Canada is not the same as the American variety. Based on the taste, I'm guessing Molson is experiencing some backflow issues in their production as I got the distinctly bitter hint of Molson Canadian swilling around in the first can I opened. The Canadian brew is not quite as smooth and is lacking the softer flavors of its American cousin.

Is it close to the American version? Yes. Is it worth trying a can or two? Yes. But I would recommend you drink it cold....very cold.  If you're looking for it in LCBO stores you may need to ask for it as "Coors Banquet". This according to a cute cashier who politely told me they "had no Coors Original, only the Banquet". I bought all 36 anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment